Get certified with Ataccama

#1 Adding Data Sources

• 8 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
  • Community Manager
  • 244 replies

👋 Welcome to our new article series, where we will go through the individual topics that are part of the Ataccama Data Quality & Governance Certified Professional: Foundation Level Ataccama ONE v13 certification exam.

We will focus on practicing and pointing out the most common mistakes. Our first topic is Adding Data Sources.

🔎 LET’S TEST YOUR SKILLS

• Using ONE Desktop Application, create a database connection to your database.
  • ​​Using the ONE Desktop Application, upload the 'bloodtypes.xlsx' into your database. Create the database table <your_name>_bloodtypes, and upload the contents of the 'bloodtypes.xlsx' file.

💡 How to do it?

1. Open Ataccama ONE Desktop Application and create a new project
  1. In your newly created project, create a plan and name it loaddata.plan

1. Add (drag and drop from the palette on the left side) steps Excel File Reader and Jdbc Writer
  1. Upload bloodtypes.xlsx (attached to this article) into your project
  2. Open Excel File Reader and fill in File Name, Sheet Name and Start Cell in General tab, add Columns in Columns tab
  1. Your plan is ready, now let’s create a database connection - go to Databases and select New Database Connection
  1. Select Database type, fill in Connection name, add Connection parameters (either by fields or by URL) and select Authentication mode and necessary details afterwards Test Connection if successful - Finish
  1. In your plan, open Jdbc Writer and fill in Data Source Name (your Database name) and Table Name <your name>_blood_types in General tab and Columns in Columns tab

1. Click on Create a table (you need to wait and then confirm the SQL statement in the popup dialog box) once done, continue with Apply
  1. Confirm with OK
  1. Check that the table is visible in your database
  1. Go back to your loaddata.plan and Save it and Run it

13. Execute your SQL sentence and you see that your data are in the database

1. 💡Repeat steps 1-13 again for files rhesus_status.xlsx and patient.xlsx which we will use later in the series.

COMMON MISTAKE

• Candidates quite often miss the step 9 and don’t create a table in the database as required 

Do you have any question or tips&tricks? Let us know in comments section! 

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hello, I have a question. When you upload data to the database and execute the plan each time, it keeps adding the same data on top. How can I make  overwrite data? For instance, I have a table like this.

I saved it in the database, made some changes to the table, and when I re-executed the plan, it added the changes on top. Duplicates appeared, to put it bluntly.