Skip to main content

I need to connect to an AS400 database. I have an odbc connection working for that but I can use ODBC with DQA. No OBDC driver is available. it is not like what is displayed on the FAQ support page when they explain how to connect to MS access using ODBC.

it seems the driver has disapeared :-(

Hi Claire,

Welcome to our Data People Community 🦄

I noticed that you tagged DQA in your post.

JDBC drivers for IBM DB2 Databases are available out-of-the-box in our free Data Quality Analyzer product.

If you right-click on the Database node in the File Explorer, then click New Database Connection.

In the Database Type dropdown you’ll see IBM DB2, which can be used for connections to AS/400.

Available Database Types

I know, I’ve already tried but with no success…

Is ODBC not available anymore ?

otherwise i’ve also tried with jdbc for AS400 : Jt400, : the connection is successull but that’s all

dqa is unable to list the tables of the database (librairy) for example.

if i write myself select * from xxtable it’s ok, I get the data but I can’t create any profile. I can type the columns I want to profile but then when I clik map to query dqa never stops ‘searching’ and I have to kill dqa process and reopen the software

Hi Claire,

ODBC and JDBC are different communications interfaces, typically database vendors will supply both interfaces.

• ODBC is a standard Microsoft Windows®️ interface that enables the communication between database management systems and applications typically written in C or C++.
  • JDBC is a standard interface that enables the communication between database management systems and applications written in Oracle Java.

Our products are written in Java, and utilise the JDBC communication interface.

There are a few approaches that you can take to profile tables (or views) from an IBM DB2 (AS/400) database.

Assuming you have your DB2 database configured in the Databases node under file Explorer.

First Approach

Is to connect to the database and navigate the schema to locate the Table/View you which to profile.

Once the target is located. Right-click and select ‘Create Profile’.

Right-click Create Profile

You will be presented with the Configure Profile dialog box to select the columns and type of profiling analysis you wish to perform.

Configure Profile

Click the Run button

Run Plan
Plan completed successfully

Second Approach

Is to build the Plan step by step.

Browse the connected Database in the File Explorer.

Locate the Table/View you wish to Profile and then Drag n Drop the Table into the Plan.

Select the Columns from the Object

You can edit SQL or type fresh SQL from scratch. Be sure to Map your SQL to Table or Query using the buttons in the lower right.

Add your Profiler Step, configure as before and run the plan.

After your plan has finished running.

Hold down CTRL key and double click on blue Profiler Step in the plan to see the profile results.

Alternative, navigate using the File Explorer to the location of the .profile file you chose.

thank you for your detailed answer but my problem is at the database connection level (I kwow how to create profiles I face no issue with MS SQL  or Oracle)

here are screen shots

my  connection is successful

bu

but  no table is listed

in a plan, i creat a new jdbc reader

here you see I access my data

but then  I click on Map to query and Operation in progress never ends

same for map to table

I see from this Database screenshot that you have 1 database connected “DB_SICAME_MDM_PROD” whilst the other database “jt400” is not connected.

Are you able to connect and browse the “jt400” database using the File Explorer?

What happens after you press Connect?

What JDBC Driver are you using? It is the out-of-the-box JDBC driver or a different one?

Out of the box JDBC Driver for IBM DB2

The out-of-the-box DB2 driver is dated; 2011/10/06 and is intended for DB2 Level 9.7.0.0.
IBM have newer JDBC drivers, it might be worthwhile to try the JDBC driver for your DB2 Product Version / Level.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/db2-jdbc-driver-versions-and-downloads

actually i’ve just come back to dqa.

I think that the connection took around one hour to be able to list all the database content because for the first time since the last 3 days ( :-((  I can see the content. Until now I was not able to browse.

I need to modify my connection so that it doesn’t retrieve so many librairies and tables.

thank you very much for your time

regards

claire

Hi Claire,

I am happy that it works for you 😊

Have fun and a great day.

Danny

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET