Skip to main content

How to change  environment in ataccama web interface?

Hi @KarthikaSPillai,

Thank you for your question. Could you describe your use case or what would you like to achieve by changing the environments in the Web application?

Please, have a look at the Working with Environments in the Configuration Service and Working with Deployments. (You can access the Configuration Service by adding a prefix cs- at the beginning of the ONE Web App URL).

Hope it helps.

Hi Adela Sotonova I want to implement data profiling in dev environment first, then in test environment and finally prod environment. How to do that?

Any Updates @Adela Sotonova ?

Hello @KarthikaSPillai,

and you are reffering to Data Catalog? Which version? That may differ for v12 and v13.

In general there is no automated way how to move confguration from one Ataccama ONE v13 to another. But if you talk about profiling, that is done after you connect to a data source, which you have to do in every environment (I suppose connections from DEV/TEST/PROD will differ) and once you trigger the profiling from TEST/PROD, you will get results automatically as in DEV. 

If you would like to move the profiling results of the data (catalog items) from DEV to TEST/PROD, that is not possible, you would have to configure some migration plans in the ONE Desktop.

Does that answer your question? 

@KarthikaSPillai 

To address this requirement: we perform all of profiling/DQ rules/etc. in our test environment via One Desktop (mainly to test the functionality and rules) and then switch the environment to Prod to migrate/implement with no or minor updates to reflect Production data source names and run/schedule using again One Desktop which then is reflect in the web interface.  

Hello @Catherine Thanks, but I need to do in web interface. For example, in one of the documents I have seen the below screenshot to change environment, but in my own web interface, the icon to change environment is not present,:91Nm39mwuYDWaP8xuq0rd7n20IBroPcK0_Ol5xrdGLZY9oxDK3fUAq4QAdFP4r-ivJxlGYwAb9v6eWz4sBO13tsksVvYBXsoSNPF4s1vNJgBXAq7EvDtef96QSLw5zXlU_ARwWvVmm-4c2z6HnSw17d2dfLFih998q-hq50X3WDhraQx-xAprBntYA

Hi @KarthikaSPillai , the screenshot is from the Configuration Service. This is something users shouldn’t change as this is created during the installation of the platfrom. In the real installations, there is usually just one environment (e.g. PROD) because each environment has its own configuration service. Those environments however have nothing to do with migrating the content, they just indicate to which environment the modules of the application belong to (e.g. DPE module, MMM core etc.). This is usually accessible only to platform administrators.

@Catherine @anna.spakova I tried to create environment test2 as below, what is use of creating environment like below? According to you, During Installation ataccama team will create the separate environment UI/Configuration service? If so how to migrate and deploy data catalog from dev to test ?

Hi, Per my understanding there is no migration supported in One Web when i did a research on similar topic. We use the Dev for testing/validating syntax etc and once comfortable directly create them in Prod instance

@KarthikaSPillai As said by @Siva_Madhavan for the actual content in the Gen 2 web application there is currently no out-of-the-box migration mechanism. 

In version 13.8 a simple export-import feature was introduced that you should be able to use for migrating the data (terms, rules, sources, ...) between two environemts, but these environments has to have identical MMD model. For more information please see this documentation: https://support.ataccama.com/home/docs/aip/latest/development-guides/one-development-guide/configuring-the-one-web-application/import-and-export

From my experience, customers usually test some features, syntax etc. in DEV or TEST environment, develop in TEST and then mimic/perform the same implementation in PROD. Also, for migrating eg. the business terms or rules you can develop some export/import plans in the ONE Desktop tool if needed.

​​​@anna.spakova  a quick follow-up question. So what is the recommendation from Ataccama? It looks like we are saying use the Production env directly for creating the rules/terms etc.

But we are bringing new features to export/import as well in version 13.8. what would be the purpose of this new export/import, is this created for some specific usecase ?

@anna.spakova or @Siva_Madhavan What is purpose creating environment in web interface?UzM_cpfW02PBfIRtQPZNkmO1DmvdOwQDDF1En0hYTt7AUwyxbfE0IpDDZlQT0sdql72C3pXXCr1Zh79qj1UwqE4UunPqd8sTFD6KgYAM0kXtbn3sDymk4cG7iv5Je7NKFZTfvs3ccNyFni2qxOXlv7vq3kfanZnq74gznjd969kQPcvQbYS6LmEKPw

@KarthikaSPillai Good question. I am not sure too and the document is very vague. May be its just tags for different catalog items/objects. I will wait for response from @anna.spakova 

@anna.spakova 

@Adela Sotonova 

If we create environment in configuration service ,

1. How can we view those environments in web interface.
  2. How do we know in web interface which environment we are in?
  3. How to switch between environments? Example.,we exported  DQ artifacts in DEV. how to go to test environment and import? 

Hi, as I already mentioned above, these environments were ment for multiple platform deployments that would have just 1 Configuration service (so you would see two MMM modules, two DPMs etc. from 1 config service, and each would be for either TEST or PROD for example). Due to the automation done during installations, we are creating configuration service for each environment, so there is no need for the environments anymore. Therefore these environments don’t have any function now and even if you create some, it will not have any affect. It definitely doesn’t have anything to do with migrating the content.

To migrate the actual content, you can use the Import/export functionality also mentioned above. It requires identical MMD model in both environments. But usually this is needed only at the beginning because the actual content usually doesn’t require to be first tested in TEST environment (you can create terms or rules directly in PROD because you can easily delete them). TEST environment is ment more for testing more complex configurations mainly of MMD model or custom APIs. Sadly, the changes done in the metadata model cannot be automatically migrated right now. Clients usually test one change in the model in TEST and then manually deploy the same change to PROD.

@Siva_Madhavan Ataccama recommends to use PROD for the actual content, you can even have both TEST and PROD data in one platform and using Permissions to manage access. You can also use the “Purpose” flag to label data as TEST data or PROD data. The content is very easy to delete so there is no need to test it. TEST is really mainly for testing of more complex configurations of the platform, as a playground for the beginners or as an environment for trainings. 

Thanks @anna.spakova for a clear message. I would request if you can have feature request to remove the Environment from ONE Web going forward would avoid such confusions.  

As you called out, Plug-in Ataccama ONE into Production would be the best way  for profiling and making use of the tool completely. totally agree to that.

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET