Hope you are enjoying our getting started series 😎 In this post, we will cover Business Glossary and learn more about Business Terms.
Business terms play a crucial role in analyzing data, as they provide the basis for evaluation and quality checks. You can establish expected values and gain deeper insights by assigning terms to specific data elements. The Business Glossary automatically maps these terms to real data sources, ensuring that your catalog is always up to date and synchronized with the latest assigned terms. Plus, an unlimited hierarchy structure lets you visualize the relationships among different data elements, systems, and processes.
Let's explore the different types of terms you'll encounter in the Business Glossary:
- Business Terms: These are predefined labels that help you understand and organize your data. They are assigned based on set conditions.
- Custom-Created Terms: This term group allows you to create your own terms according to your specific needs. For example, you can create Key Performance Terms or Security Terms.
Now, let's walk through the process of creating, editing, duplicating, and assigning terms:
Creating New Terms
- On any Terms page, click the Create button in the upper-right corner.
- Fill out the General Information section on the Create Term screen:
- Name: Provide a name for your term.
- Abbreviation: Add an abbreviation for the term.
- Business Definition: Write a clear business definition for the term.
- Type: Select the appropriate type from the available options: business or custom.
- Security Classification: Choose the relevant security classification.
- Critical Data Element: Specify the critical data element associated with the term.
- Click Save to create the term.
- Navigate to the Settings tab.
- Under Data Quality Evaluation, click + Add rule to assign rules for Validity, Completeness, Uniqueness, and Accuracy checks.
- Once you've made the necessary changes, remember to publish them.
Editing a Term
To edit the general information of a term, simply click on the Edit button in the upper-right corner of the page. If you need to modify the term's settings, navigate to the Settings tab and implement the changes. The updates will be saved in a draft state and should be published to take effect.
Duplicating a Term
If you want to create a new term with similar settings to an existing one, you can duplicate the term. Please note that only the settings will be copied, not the relationships.
To duplicate a term, follow these steps:
- Expand the more options menu and select Duplicate.
- A new tab will open with the duplicated term, pre-populated with the original settings.
- Edit the information as needed and click Save.
- Adjust the settings if necessary, and don't forget to publish the term.
When executing the Document Flow, terms are suggested automatically, and you can either accept or dismiss the suggestions. However, it's also possible to manually assign terms to Catalog Items and attributes.
To assign terms to a catalog item, follow these steps:
- Go to the Catalog Items tab.
- Click on the item's name to view its details.
- In the Overview page, find the Glossary Terms widget and click +Add Term.
- Select one or more terms from the list of existing terms. The assigned terms will be visible in the Catalog Item list table.
- After making the necessary changes, publish them to ensure they take effect.
To assign terms to an attribute, here's what you need to do:
- Navigate to the Catalog Item details.
- Click on the desired attribute in the Attributes list.
- In the Overview page of the attribute, click +Add Term in the Glossary Terms widget.
- Choose one or more terms from the list of existing terms.
- After making the necessary changes, publish them to apply the assigned terms.
Remember, proper terms assignment will enhance your data analysis and ensure effective data management.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below & stay tuned for more!