We are kicking off a new best practice series covering the basics of ONE DG. Each day for the next two weeks, we will dive into a new topic to level up or strengthen your ONE DG skills 💪
First things first, before starting our how-to articles let’s learn the essentials we will be using for the ONE Web Application.
Knowledge Catalog is where you'll find the key tools for data management, including importing metadata from data sources, viewing, discovering, and profiling data. Let's explore the two main sections of the Knowledge Catalog: Catalog Items and Sources.
- Catalog items house your actual data, organized into attributes—think of them as columns in a table. These items are imported into the platform from various sources representing different storage types.
Business Glossary serves as the central repository for business terms.
- Business terms are labels assigned to the data that help you understand and organize your data. You can also create hierarchical structures between terms to better visualize the relationships among different data elements, systems, and processes. In addition, business terms are the basis for DQ evaluation. We use terms to label catalog item attributes to identify which DQ rule should be applied to what data and automate the validation process.
Data Profiling refers to the process of examining and analyzing data to gather valuable statistics, identify patterns and distributions, and obtain other useful metrics. There are two types of profiling: sample & full.
Data Discovery is data profiling applied to a whole data source, allowing you to document the source in a single click. By default, three options are available:
- Import: Loads source metadata to ONE.
- Discover: Runs sample profiling on the source.
- Document: Runs full profiling on the source, including DQ evaluation on selected items.
I will gradually introduce new terms & tools into the mix as we progress through the week!
Any questions, or thoughts? Don’t hesitate to share in the comments 👇
@Cansu . This is great learning for new comers to Ataccama DG! I’m looking forward to following along and will be sending our customers to these best practice series.