Skip to main content
Solved

Set MDM records to inactive based on source flag and not delete

• 11 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello, from one of our source systems we were previously excluding any inactive addresses, contact details, etc. Our users have requested we load these records into MDM for visibility. My issue is that while we can add these records as is, they will not show as inactive on MDM. We could add a source active flag but for consistency with other sources we would like them to show as inactive on MDM (Greyed out). 

We have considered doing a one time load of all the inactive instances and then excluding them from the daily load but because it is possible to create address and contact details as inactive from the source that would not work. 

I have explored using the delta load as it has a change type column that could be appropriate for our use case.

Has anyone had to set records in MDM as inactive as part of the load not using the deletion strategy? What method did you use?

I have also looked into creating new instance entities to store inactive records but that would be a large undertaking as we would have to rebuild all load plans rather than this single source. 

Thanks for any insight,

Tyler 

P.S. We are already excluding these records from our matching rules so no issues there.

2 replies

Badge +3

Hi @Tyler ,

If you can identify the inactive records from the source, you can conditionally assign a value to the change_type column for those records. For example:

If your deletion strategy is set to ‘deactivate’ for the delta load, this will mark the inactive records as ‘inactive’ in MDM. 

This approach is preferable because the source system will continue to send inactive records as part of the delta loads and you want to retain the relationships to those inactive records.

Thanks,
Vysakh

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Tyler, welcome to the community and thank you for posting 🙋‍♀️

I’m closing this thread for now, if you have any follow-up questions please feel free to share them in the comments or create a new post.