RDM Table Enrichment with Null Value

• 18 July 2023
  • 1 reply
RDM Table Enrichment with Null Value
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Let me start with the fact that I am new to developing Ataccama RDM (as in a couple months into development/learning).

Problem statement: I am working on a project for creating new RD in the RDM module, andĀ came across an instance where I needed an EnrichmentĀ that could not only fill in a field in the request, but could also delete the data in that field. I attempted many different methods, and could not get it to work, as having the field blank it would be considered a null value. After looking through the XML for the enrichment, I found that the column I was trying to set to null was set up in such a manner as to not allow null values (which appears to be the default in Ataccama RDM).

Solution: When creating anĀ EnrichmentĀ there is anĀ .onlineĀ file that is created for deployment in the online application services. In this file, there is a setting forĀ Strategy. The default forĀ StrategyĀ ā†’Ā Output Format ā†’Ā Root SectionĀ for each column is set toĀ Optional Element,Ā which does not allow null/blank values in the column. To make it so theĀ EnrichmentĀ can place a null value in the column for a given row, you must change theĀ StrategyĀ toĀ Nillable ElementĀ (an element that can be set to null). To see an example, please see the image below.

NOTES:Ā Once this is set, if you do a top levelĀ GenerateĀ on your project, you will reset this value toĀ Optional Element. As such to generate the project, generate only the parts needed. Before uploading the new configuration, go to you project and right click onĀ App Configuration ā†’Ā Generateā€¦Ā This should generate the necessary components, but will not reset theĀ StrategyĀ that you updated.

Setting Nillable Element for a .online file.

Ā 

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Thank you @Jason.SupticĀ for taking the time to share your tips with the community, really appreciate it!