Solved

RDM import data by API call online service - how to get the id back out in the response?

• 12 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m using RDM 14.2 (soon to be upgraded to 14.5) and I need to build an API endpoint to accept incoming data.

I have an integration input and will use an RDM Importer step to import the data into my table.

My table has a generated id as a primary key and I need to provide the generated id as a response back to the incoming API call.

But the RDM Importer step stops there. It doesn’t tell me the id.

How do I then get the id back? I could make an RDM Extended Reader step in the plan, but I cannot guarantee the Reader step is executed after the Importer step, because the Importer step doesn’t have an out endpoint, it only has an err endpoint. And if I query the data before the insert is committed then I will end up with nothing to provide.

Any ideas?

(I believe the new RDM REST API functionality is read only so that won’t be relevant here?)

icon

Best answer by BrianF 15 January 2024, 12:46

View original

2 replies

Badge +1

Hi May,

I did similar recently, triggering an external notification after the importer step.

I did that by adding a Random Record Generator step, with an INTEGER “Number from Sequence” column called “lineNo” and a STRING shadow column called “Error”, defaulted to null.

I then did a Union Same to the output from the RDM Importer step which can then force processes to run after that. 

I need to refine it, probably with a Condition step, to check if there really is an error, but it works for now.

Hope that helps!

Brian.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

💡 Thanks Brian! I’ll give that a go!