Skip to main content

Hi community,

Does anyone know about documentation about visualizing relationship types? On the documantation portal I found this, but that doesn't seem to cover the setup in the Graph Visualization section in the Application Settings. The documentation mentions “For more information, see Configure Graph Visualization.”, but that is a link to the page you are already on.

Kind regards,

Albert

Hi @Albert de Ruiter, thank you for the feedback on docs! We’ll make sure the issue is sorted this week.

In the meantime, if you need to create a new graph visualization, try following these steps:

1. Go to Global Settings > Graph Visualization.
  2. Select Create.
  3. Fill in the following:
    • Configuration key: A name for the visualization.
    • Entity name: Select the entity for which you want to visualize relationships.
    • Allow all relationships: Select this if you want to visualize all the nodes on the relationships graph.
  4. Next, under Nodes, select Add Graph node configuration. This is where you define which entities should be visualized on the graph.
    • Entity name: Select the entity that will be shown on the relationships connection graph.
    • Allowed: Select this if you want to allow the node to be displayed on the graph directly.
  5. Under Relationship types, select Add Graph relationship type configuration to define the relationship type:
    • Relationship type: Which relationship you want to visualize on the graph, such as ParentChild or CopyOf.

• Display name: The name of the relationship used in the UI.

• Allowed: Select this if you want to allow the node to be on the graph directly.

• Boxed: Select this if you want the relationship to appear in the graph settings.

6. Select Save and publish. This opens the Overview tab of the new visualization, where you can review the settings and make edits as necessary.

7. As your last step, make sure the relationship visualization on your entity is configured. This is done by setting the appropriate trait, as explained in the article Custom relationships.

I’m attaching here an example of what this configuration looks like for the catalogItem entity which lets you view catalog item relationships to terms, sources, connections, locations, attributes, and other catalog items.

Hope this helps,

Jelena

Hi @jelena.rakic , thanks for the additional information. It surely helped me achieve what I wanted. 

The documentation doesn’t mention the Allowed relationship nodes section. I guess that should be added in the description.
Also, at least for me 😉, the meaning of the Allowed and Boxed settings are a bit unclear. For the relationship that I have added I have been trying out the different settings, but it all looks the same in the visualisation. Maybe also add some screenprints for clarification?

Final question, when opening the Assigned Term relationship for a term, the related catalog items are shown with all of its attributes, which are way too many to show directly. Is there a setting so that only the catalog items show?

Kind regards,

Albert

Hi @Albert de Ruiter, I’m glad to hear that!

Thank you so much for the additional details, I also noticed that we don’t have the Allowed relationship nodes section covered. We’re looking into this with the Engineering team and I’ll let you know when the updates are reflected in our docs. 

Regarding your second question, one thing that might help is adjusting the graph settings from the asset Relationships tab. Select the gear icon first if the settings aren’t displayed and then Assets configuration. Here you can select which assets and relationships are displayed on the graph.

So for example, if you clear Attributes from the Assets tab and then select Redraw graph, this hides all related attributes from the graph until you edit the settings again. However, keep in mind that this might not produce the results you’re looking for as it also hides the associated catalog item if the term is applied directly to an attribute and not the catalog item. I’ll check with our Engineering whether this can be further customized and let you know.

Kind regards,

Jelena

Thanks @jelena.rakic . If there is no functional way to hide the attributes in the catalog item boxes, I think I will create an ‘idea’/feature request for this.

Kind regards,

Albert

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET