Solved

how do i update catalog item properties (not attributes)

• 13 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Community:

Iam on version 14.5.1. WE have created a custom field for Catalog items to flag (a boolean field) whether the data is certified for consumption.

I would like to update from a batch file to the few hundred catalog items.

Is there a template anyone has  - to update catalog items ? I have previously used a component for updating catalog attributes (like fields in a table), but here i need to update the catalog item itself (and not the attribute).

appreciate anyone sharing a template of a component that i can adopt and use.

icon

Best answer by ivan.kozlov 18 March 2024, 14:40

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello Prasad,

In order to achieve this you’ll need to use One Metadata Reader and One Metadata Writer steps in ONE Desktop.

For the sake of example let’s assume that you have One Platform connection defined in One Desktop with a name “onemeta”.
One Metadata Reader step can be used to get all the latest catalogItem Id’s and and parent entity Id’s that would be needed later on. This is how you would configure this step:

The output from this step can be joined with, for example, a list of catalog items that needs to be updated and values that need to be assigned to your custom properties. Once the two streams were joined you should have the right set of data ready for updated.

Let’s say the property you need to updates is called “customPropertyName” and the values that need to be provided are provided in the above mentioned file in an attribute called “customPropertyValue” and the parent for your catalogItems is folder. 

In that case the ONE Metadata Writer step configuration can look like this - we would need the catalogItemId and parentId that we pulled from the platform in ONE Metadata Reader step.

The whole plan might look like this:

This is just an example but it should give you an idea how you could approach some tasks. I’ve attached the sample plan and you’ll need to update it for your specific scenario.
It’s also worth mentioning that we have ONE Platform Tutorials available in ONE Desktop and you can find some example or tips for metadata updates there.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thank you Ivan @ivan.kozlov for such detailed, well documented response. Really appreciate it. I will definitely be able to use it for my usecase.