Solved

Simple maker-checker process (approval workflow)

• 21 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi team!

I'm trying to implement a simple maker-checker process for Business Glossary Management: 
there are different Data Domains, each with its own responsible: Data Steward and Data Owner. 
So, for each Data Domain, the corresponding Data Steward creates the term --> the corresponding Data Owner approves it. Therefore, it's essential to consider the separation of permissions by data domains.

Please give me some ideas on how I can implement it in the current product version. 

As far as I could investigate, grouping terms by different folders/categories in the Glossary doesn't help since I can't assign any roles to a particular folder/category: I can't assign Steward1 and Owner1 to the BusinessTerms group and Steward2 and Owner2 to the SecurityTerms, for example.

How should it be implemented, then?

Many thanks for considering my request!

icon

Best answer by anna.spakova 22 March 2023, 10:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello, I don’t know what is your version of the product, but in v13, as you say, you cannot distinguish permissions based on the category. Each domain would have to be a completely new entity type. From v14.3 we introduce Stewardship which should actually help with this.

Until then, check out this solution for team based permissions. In short, data steward would create a request to create a new term under some data domain and automated workflow could create it under a proper domain with a proper Owner and maybe even notify the owner. The speficic process could be modified based on your needs. 

Anna

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have the same issue in v13.9. Basicly a team develops their own product (incl. CI attributes linking to term, glossary, rules, etc.) We solved this by GraphQL and a little ‘governance’ - we have a central team which checks data to be shared in case of duplicates, etc. -. If a team needs to share data, we run a workflow. The basis is very simple, you can add to it e.g. as an input get ther terms from you catagories.

As input set the vars in an alter format

Based on that in the component create a ‘operation’ and ‘capability’

JSON GraphQL step:
{
"query":"mutation shareEntity {#operation#( capabilities: \"#capability#\"
        gid: \"#GID#\"
        grantingStrategy: GRANT
        roles: \"#role#\"
    ) {
        result {
            gid
        }