How to organize assets in ONE web app: adding columns and filters in Business Glossary

• 27 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Adding more details to a list view and providing additional filtering options can help business users in their daily tasks as you scale Data Governance across multiple teams, geographies, or business functions.

In this article we’ll customize the Business Glossary to show additional term attributes as columns in the list view and to enable filtering by those attributes. This approach generally works across the Ataccama ONE Web app, so you can use this article as a guide to customize other pages, for example Rules, Catalog Items, or Monitoring Projects.

You don’t have to be a developer to follow this guide. If you come across any concepts you’re not familiar with, have a look at our documentation.

Adding columns

First, navigate to the Business Glossary’s Terms list. In the top right, find the 3-dot menu which features the option to Edit page.

In the side bar that opens up, go to the Layout tab. You’ll see the JSON that describes how the objects are shown on this page when the web app loads it.

Locate “columns” and see how the columns on the Terms page correspond to the respective definitions in the JSON, e.g. “name”, “type”, “abbreviation” and “dqEvaltermAggr”.

💡 The page layout references entity and property names defined by the Metadata Model. If you reference some property name that doesn’t actually exist, the app won’t be able to fetch anything to display in that column.You can lookup the Metadata Model for the entity you’re interested in and see what its properties are called.

Now, we want the owner, the steward and the business domain of each term to appear in the list view. At the same time, we’re not actively using abbreviations, so we might as well hide this column.

Here’s what the changes are going to look like:

Here we’ve added the parameter for the abbreviation column to disable it, and added the definitions for the 3 new columns we want to place in the list view.

We’ve also changed the value of “splitIndex” from 5 to 2. The “blank space” which serves as a visual separator within the grid will appear in the position of the 2nd column, after Name.

Here’s what the result looks like once we Save and publish.

💡 You’ll notice Business Domain isn’t a standard property that Terms have out of the box. As an Application Admin, you can add custom properties to the Metadata Model - here’s how we’ve added Business Domain as a dropdown/picklist property type.

💡When adding referenced properties to the screen layout of a list view, you may want to make them not only visible, but also sortable. In this case a different approach should be used. To make property columns sortable, the column definition should provide the details about the property of the target entity that's referenced from the current property. For example, for the owner property of a term, which references the username property of a person, this is what the column definition will look like:

"username": {
"name": "Owner",
"dataPath": [
"owner",
"username"
],
"renderer": {
"_type": "entity.scalar.tableCell"
},
"extraFetchRules": [
{
"pattern": "./owner/*"
}
]
},

Adding Filters

To make it even easier to find items in the Glossary, let’s make an additional filtering option from the property Business Domain.

Go to Global Settings >> Search Configurations >> term. Notice that there’s already a number of nodes and their properties being indexed to power search in the app.

For businessDomain, the setup will be similar to what you’ll see for owner/steward if you explore the search configuration. Just like owner and steward, businessDomain is a referenced property that targets another standalone entity defined in the Metadata Model. Taking that into account, here’s how we’ll go about setting up search and filtering.

First, we’ll add businessDomain as a new Indexed Node with its name as the Indexed Property:

Then, we’ll open the Indexed Node term and add an Indexed Property businessDomain .

Finally, we’ll Add a Property Search filter called Domain, set as the property name of businessDomain (since we’ll want to be able to filter using the value of the business domain name).

Make sure to also Add Indexed Property Ref. In the Target field, once again look for the name property related to Search Configuration > term > businessDomain.

Once we’ve published the changes in the Search Configuration, the Terms listing will show a new filter:

Did you follow along? If you have any questions or thoughts please share them in the comments below.

P.S.If you liked this tutorial, keep an eye out for more articles on customizing the Ataccama ONE web app!

5 replies

Badge

Hello 😀 I have been trying to follow this article to implement the following in “Rules”:

1. Create a filter for dqDimension (dqDimension is already shown as a column in the table)
  2. Create a new column and filter for dataType (I am referring to rule implementation > Rule input attributes > data type applied to the rule input attribute(s).) I would like the data types for all input attributes to be shown (a view similar to how multiple business terms linked to a catalog item show in 1 column).

I have managed to get a Dimension filter showing, but it is greyed out and cannot click on it. And I have managed to get a data type column showing but it doesn’t show any data. (So not great progress!)

I would like some help with this please where I can share the changes I have made and I would like some advise on how to fix it. Is it best to raise this as a JSM service ticket or as a new community article please?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Rianna ! Glad to hear you're making use of the customization options - I think this article is a good place to discuss adjacent use cases! 

Let's have a look at your questions. I'll assume you're on v.14.x.

1. If your Dimension filter is greyed out then I suspect something isn't quite right with the configuration of properties on which the filter should rely. You'll want to make sure that your Search Configuration for rule looks as follows:
  • indexed node rule has an indexed property dimension (should be there by default)
  • you've added one more indexed node, dqDimension ,with the indexed property name
  • when creating a filter, you've used the property name of the dqDimension node (which is where we have the values you'll filter by - validity, accuracy, etc.)

• finally you've added property dimension of the rule node via Add indexed property ref under Referenced From (dimension name is displayed for a rule through a reference to the dimension node in the metadata). 

1. Displaying datatypes of input attributes is trickier - I don't think it can be configured with the standard metadata model, because datatypes are too far removed in the model from the rule ( rule → ruleInputGroup → ruleInputAttribute → dataType). If you compare that to terms, termInstances are directly embedded into a rule as a property, which you can use to filter rules. If you're working with an Ataccama consultant on your implementation, this would be a good topic to raise to them.

Hope this helps! 

Badge

Hello Lisa, thank you for your speedy detailed reply!

Thank you for confirming about the datatypes, I thought that would be a tricky one! We will pause on this until we can get some consultant assistance to help us.

Many thanks for the steps for the dqDimension. I have followed these steps but unfortunately I still have the same issue ☹️

I have repeated it a few times in case I made an error but it remains greyed out. I have attached a screenshot of each step I performed for reference.

Is there anything incorrect you can spot in my attachment please? This one has me puzzled! 😵

Thank you very much

Badge

Sorry I forgot to also confirm I am using DEV environment version 14.2. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Rianna thanks for the screenshots! Everything seems just right - let's just double-check a couple of things:

• did you publish the changes in the search configuration before checking the rules list?
  • could you please try reindexing and recovering search, then checking the rules page again in a fresh tab?

Using DEV shouldn't have any impact at all. If the issue persists, could you please open a support ticket? Our team will investigate further. Thanks!