Skip to main content

Hi, 

I was wondering if there is a way to profile a subset of the data based on a certain criteria in the web application. 

For example, I want to get the profiling results only for records with the ‘Active’ status in the ‘Status’ field.

I am able to do this in the desktop application by writing a custom sql query to filter the results. If I can do this directly in the web app that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @ritgupta ,

You can create a SQL catalog item in the web app, where you can apply a filter on the Status field.

Kind regards,

Albert

Hi @ritgupta 

In Web you can do the same by creating a SQL Catalog Item. You create one using custom query and then profile the resulting catalog item

I’ve just had a look at the brand new 15.3 Data slicing feature. https://docs.ataccama.com/one/latest/catalog-items/create-data-slice.html

It’s a shame that it doesn’t look like you can profile the data slice, but you can only use the data slice in monitoring project. I don’t have access to 15.3 so can’t confirm.

Can anyone from Ataccama share whether profiling a data slice is coming in a future release? I think that would be a really nice feature. (tagging @Cansu to help us find some confirmation?)

Hi @ritgupta ,
Depending on the version you’re on, you might consider using Data Transformations Plans. If you already have existing catalog item, it should be relatively easy to create another CI from it using Transformation plans. You’ll technically just need to filter out the data based on the Status column.
More details regarding Transformations:
https://docs.ataccama.com/one/latest/monitoring-projects/data-transformation-plans.html#create-plan-to-transform-a-catalog-item

As for Data Slice feature that @may_kwok mentioned, in initial release it will only work for monitoring project. It’s a new functionality so at the moment there’s still quite a few limitations around it but we expect the capabilities to be extended in future releases. Unfortunately can’t share any timeline at the moment.

In general the goal of the Data Slicing functionality is to declutter the catalog so the users won’t have to create multiple CI’s\SQL CI’s\VCI’s with a subset of data from specific table but rather create slices on top of existing CI and use them in profiling and dq evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Ivan

I’m closing this thread for now @ritgupta, if you have any follow up questions please feel free to share them here or create a new post 🙋‍♀️

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET