Skip to main content

Is it possible to mask data for some users, for example out of privacy reasons?

I know masking was a feature in version 1 and for some reason was removed in Gen 2, but how could this still be achieved as it is a much asked requirement, that certain users should not see certain attributes and no, I don't want to create a VCI copy of each asset that has such columns and replace that column with some dummy value, that's not masking.

Hi @ViLas, welcome to the community, and thank you for posting. In Gen 2, masking is not available at the moment. However, I can suggest using role-based permissions you can edit the "View Metadata Access" settings to remove the data tab which also eliminates that in the samples as a workaround for now. Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

Don’t forget to check out our Quick Start Guide to make the best out of your community journey 🙋🏻‍♀️

Hi Cansu,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion, but I will probably not follow it as solving showing a subset of attributes by not showing any data will not really be a viable option for a client, in stead I will then probably keep using my current workaround which is to create a VCI that shows masking values like 'XXXXXXXX’ in the column(s) that should be masked, and give said user group only acces to that VCI and not the default unmasked data asset.

Of course, being a VCI they will not have the Data tab anyway after profiling but in Monitoring Project results with their invalid sample data they will, or any post-processing export for that matter.

Thank you for getting back to me and sharing your alternative method @ViLas, we’ll be sure to update you if there are any changes in the product. You can also always follow our Product Updates here.

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET