Question

Masking of sensitive data

• 26 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I have certrain fields in my data that should be masked for all users. This is information like social security number and IBAN. Now users can see this data from the sample data tab and from the profile. Can I apply some some masking of these attributes without have to create a VCI or SCI for this? Ideally masking should be applied based on the term assignment: as soon as I map the data to IBAN it should be masked for all users.

Regards, Jur Dördregter

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Jur.

For now, I would recommend using Access Levels to assign “View Metadata Only” access to any tables that contain e.g. PII.

However, data masking/hiding at a column level is actually an upcoming feature, that will be available OOTB in a future version (and currently in feature preview in v15.2) 

Hope this helps!

Oliver

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi Oliver,

Can you already share how the masking functionality will be in 15.2?

Kind regards,

Albert

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Albert de Ruiter, the feature is still in development and subject to change so we’ll be sharing it in detail when the feature is released 🙋‍♀️We’ll be sure to share it on the Product Updates and Release Notes as always.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi @Cansu ,

Thanks for the update. When in development my suggestion might be a bit late, but I will give it anyway ;-)

For a glossary term we have added a property that indicates if the term defines personal identifying data. The term relates to catalog item attributes. It would be nice if the masking would apply to catalog item attributes that relate to a term with that indication.

Well, just a thought.

Kind regards,

Albert