Skip to main content

I want to create another column using the filter step on the IDE. How do I concatenate foreign characters and fields with different data types into one field.

Fields to concatenate is date field, special character (/), string and integer fields

Hi @Gloria ,

To create a new column you need to use Alter Format step. Filtering step helps to filter the records. You can use alter step and concatenate the fields you mentioned in the expression - tostring(date) + '  ' + integer + '  ' + special_characters + '  ' + string .  Let me know if you are looking for something else.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Srija Piratla

Hi @srija piratla, I tried this but I got this error 

Function 'toString' is not applicable for arguments {DATE} 

Hi @Gloria ,

I used tostring as my DATE datatype is string. If your datatype for date is not a string. Please don’t use tostring().

Regards,

Srija Piratla

Hi Gloria,
You can use the tostring() function to convert data to string but to make this work you also need to specify the format of the data.
For example toString(date_col, 'yyyy-MM-dd') to get 2023-05-30 date. You’ll need to provide the right date format.

Here’s a link to ONE Expression documentation:
https://docs.ataccama.com/one/latest/common-actions/one-expressions.html

So the whole expression can look like this:
toString(date_column_name, “yyyy-MM-dd|”) + toString(integer_column_name) + “/” + string_column_name

Hope this helps,
Ivan

Hi Ivan, this was useful, thank you

ataccama
arrows
Lead your team  forward  OCT 24 / 9AM ET