RDM repository question

(Patrick Burns) #1

We are planning to install RDM in the near future. We are trying to get our environment setup. We will be using SQL Server as our repository. My question is, do we need a database for every RDM project? For example, a database for SNOMED Code, another database for LOINC, another for Insurance Plans, etc.?

RDM repository creation
(Vladimir Zvorygin) #2

Hi, Patrick,

if I understand you correctly, you want to manage several reference tables in RDM.
In that case, you don’t need to create a database for each of them. You can create all those tables in one project.
If, for some reason, you want a separate project for each entity, then yes, you need a separate database for each of them.
If I misunderstood you, can you, please, explain me, what you mean by project and what entities you want to have there?

Regards,
Vladimir

(Patrick Burns) #3

Thank you for your response Vladimir. We have different departments that own varying domains of our Reference Data and require different workflows to manage the data.

(Vladimir Zvorygin) #4

Hi, Patrick.

In your project you can define as many workflows as you want and create related user roles according to your org structure. So far I don’t see a necessity in several projects.

Regards,
Vladimir.

(Patrick Burns) #5

Thank you Vladimir,

Our IT organization has over 4,500 people, that support almost every aspect of business. The biggest concern we have is Ataccama’s lack of an eloquent version control. There is too much danger of one person checking in their changes and wiping out another person’s work. We’ve seen this on another Model project DQD. We’ve had a senior Ataccama resource try to make Ataccama work properly with GIT/TFS, but ended up saying that Ataccama doesn’t really support version control with GIT or TFS, but only provides a link to them.

Unless the developers completely understand all of the related Ataccama configuration files and can manage each line in an XML file, then several developers on a single project will not be feasible. SAP’s PowerDesigner files are XML, and they have an excellent version control software that they developed. We hope in the future, that Ataccama will provide the same capability for version control.

Regards,
Pat