Parameterize a STEP in BDE

(Vishal Anand) #1

Is it possible to parameterize a STEP in BDE? For eg. Parameterize “File Name” Property of “Text File Reader” STEP and have it fetch parameter value from command line?

Parameterize a STEP in DQC
(Inna Burmistrova) #2

Hi Vishal,

Of course, it’s possible. There is an article in our knowledge base describing parametrization.
Please follow the link for step-by-step configuration.

(Vishal Anand) #3

Hi Inna,

I went through the “Parameterizing DQC Components” post and I am still not through with the issue.
I am using DQC 10.6.1, But when I am performing a right-click on the “File Name” Property of “Text File Reader” STEP as suggested. The expected menu “Map as Parameter” is not showing up.

Could you please assist on the possible reasons or solution.

(Vishal Anand) #4

Hi Inna,

I went through the “Parameterizing DQC Components” post and I am still not through with the issue.
I am using DQC 10.6.1, But when I am performing a right-click on the “File Name” Property of “Text File Reader” STEP as suggested. The expected menu “Map as Parameter” is not showing up.

Could you please assist on the possible reasons or solution.

(Inna Burmistrova) #5

Hi Vishal,

I’ll try to reproduce this behaviour and will come back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Inna

(abdul khader shaik) #6

Hi Vishal,

I Faced the same issue. Here is my finding regarding creating the file name as parameter.

As per my knowledge, we can not create the parameter for the file names in .plan files. where as this works in .comp files. please change your plan file to .comp file and try to do the right click on file name property then you can see the option as map as parameter.

(Inna Burmistrova) #7

Hi Abdulkhader,

Yes, that’s right. As you told, parameterization is available only for components. Thus, a plan is needed to be converted to a component and then Map as Parameter option will be available.

Thank you for participating in community Abdulkhader, we highly appreciate it :slight_smile:

(Inna Burmistrova) #8

Hi Vishal,

I’ll send you a simple example of the parameterization via email. We believe you’ll find it helpful for your use case.

(Vishal Anand) #9

@inna.burmistrova @abdulkhader.shaik Great Help. I would also like to know the format in which it needs to define the column name in the configuration file to dynamically pass it to parameterized input file STEP.

@inna.burmistrova Could you please direct me to a comprehensive guide wherein I could find ways to parameterize and pass values to different parameters. Like, Left/Right keys & O/P Column of join STEP.

(Inna Burmistrova) #10

Vishal,

Could you please describe what you mean by “the format in which it needs to define the column name in the configuration file to dynamically pass it to parameterized input file STEP”? Unfortunately, it’s not really clear for me.

We don’t have a more detailed guide. Based on this one you can parameterize different steps.

Also, I sent you an example via email. I hope, you found it helpful.

(Vishal Anand) #11

Hi Inna,

I am still struggling while trying to pass value to parameterized columns property of input/output step.
I didn’t receive the example you sent over mail as you have mentioned in your previous reply.
I need to pass the value for columns attribute from command line.
I have marked the parameter as “colsFact” in “RI_GEN.comp” and I have put the column values in a file “colsFact.xml” as below:

//colsFact.xml
<textReaderColumn name="st_cde" type="INTEGER" ignore="false"/> <textReaderColumn name="st_nm" type="STRING" ignore="false"/>

I am running below command:

./runcif.sh -params.colsFact=~/DQ_POC/colsFact.xml ~/DQ_POC/RI_GEN.comp

Could you please confirm if it’s correct or do I need to make some change? Please assist.

Thanks,
Vishal Anand

Hi Vishal!

Could you please clarify what exactly you want to parameterize? Is it the values (i.e. expression field) in the columns, or the columns itself?

Regards,
Vladimir

(Vishal Anand) #13

Hi Vladimir,

I wanted to parameterize columns.
I could see option to mark columns as parameters but I am not sure how to pass value to it from command line.

Could you please help?

Thanks,
Vishal A.

(Artem Setkin) #14

Hi Vishal,

Passing values to columns from command line is technically possible, however not recommended.
It is prone to errors and really depends on a use-case. Unfortunately, we don’t have any documentation regarding this action.

Kind regards,
Artem