64-bit DQ Analyzer freezes

Hey guys, I can’t recall a time when 32-bit DQ Analyzer got frozen/unresponsive. However couple of days ago I installed 64 bit 10.5.1 version and it becomes unresponsive very often, and can’t do anything but killing the process of dqa in the system. I wonder whether it is only me or there are more users with same issue?

Thanks,

Hi Vardan,

We didn’t face this problem, so we would appreciate more information about it.Could you please provide us with more details? Are there some particular actions after which DQA gets frozen?
We would like to know which operating system and database do you use. Also, with which volume and type of data are you working?

Inna

Thank you Inna,

Here are OS and PC details

Unfortunately there are no exact steps I can provide to reproduce, but more details below:

• I have more than 110 plans in the project
  • There is no difference (from this issue’s perspective) which plan I am working on and which volume of data
  • At this point I work on Foreign Key analysis, comparing data between Sybase ASE and MS SQL Server using Jdbc drivers
  • Mainly I see this issue when exporting results from profile file to html, so just couple of edits in plan files, executions, export, etc. then Analyzer becomes unresponsive, see below

Hi Vardan,

Thank you for provided information.
We have been investigating the issue without any success.
Thus, could you please send us this particular plan, the profiling of which is on the screenshot? I would also like to ask you with which volume of data you are working in this plan? If you will send us .profile file of the plan, it will be also helpful.

Did you face this problem while performing some other actions? If so, would it be possible to find regularities between them?

I would suggest you to optimize memory and performance by allocating more memory. Here is a link to guide which describes in details how to allocate more memory to DQA IDE, for particular plan execution and for plan execution in general.

Inna

Thanks Inna,

I can’t share files, however this happens not on specific tasks, the system freezes/even shut downs itself after couple of time (15 - 30 mins) working.

I tried different memory optimizations, not sure but seems it has some effect.

If I see any regularities/symmetry will keep you posted.

Best Regards,

Hi Vardan,

Did you face the same problem after you allocated additional memory or has DQA been working without freezing?
You mentioned that it seemed that it had some effect, so we would like to know if the solution helped you.

Inna

Hi Inna,

Nope, the issue still exists. Below are current numbers I put in dqc.ini and in Preferences -> Launching tab:

Thanks,

Hi Vardan,

Once you will have DQA frozen again, could you please send us the thread dump file of the DQA process?
You can create it by performing the following steps:

Check if you have jstack.exe on your computer. If not, please download it with Java SE Development Kit. Here is a link to Java SE Development Kit 7.

After you will install it, run cmd.exe and write the

"...\jstack.exe" PID

command, where "...\jstack.exe" is a path to the jstack.exe file and PID is an id of a process.
You can check the id of the process in Task Manager.
Then please send us the result you will get in cmd.exe.

You can send it here or via email support@ataccama.com.

Inna

Thank you Inna, I have created couple of logs (attached in zip file). Those were captured at the time when DQA hung on export step. log.7z (7.6 KB)

Hi Vardan,

Thank you for the update.
We will investigate the file. I will keep you posted about the result.

Inna

Hi Vardan,

We have investigated the files you provided and noticed org.eclipse.ui.statushandlers.StatusManager.logError in the Ataccama10.5.1_new_8.log file.

We would like to investigate this error and what it can be caused by.
So could you please send us .log file from the following directory \Ataccama DQ Analyzer 10\workspace\.metadata ?

Best regards,
Inna

Thanks Inna, just sent it with direct message.

Hi Vardan,

We have investigated the log you’ve sent to us. We see there the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space error, which means that Permanent Generation memory is running out.

PermGen memory is used by JVM to store necessary data such as classes, class metadata, methods and so on.

You should increase PermGen memory in dqa.ini file. Please change the amount of memory for the launcher.XXMaxPermSize from 256m to 512m.

Inna

Thanks Inna, I have done as you recommended,but the issue still exists (DQA hung and shutdown itself). Here is the latest log from .log file:

!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2016-10-05 05:35:30.445
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for CTRL+Z:
Binding(CTRL+Z,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.edit.undo,Undo,
Undo the last operation,
Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.edit,Edit,null,true),
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@17ff849d,
,true),null),
org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
org.eclipse.ui.contexts.dialog,system)
Binding(CTRL+Z,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.debug.ui.commands.eof,EOF,
Send end of file,
Category(org.eclipse.debug.ui.category.run,Run/Debug,Run/Debug command category,true),
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@85b6bba,
,true),null),
org.eclipse.debug.ui.console,win32,system)
Binding(CTRL+Z,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.edit.undo,Undo,
Undo the last operation,
Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.edit,Edit,null,true),
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@17ff849d,
,true),null),
org.eclipse.ui.contexts.dialogAndWindow,system)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2016-10-05 05:46:57.624
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2016-10-05 05:46:59.406
!MESSAGE Error disposing widget for : org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.application.ui.menu.impl.MenuImpl null

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.event 4 0 2016-10-05 05:47:00.343
!MESSAGE Exception while dispatching event org.osgi.service.event.Event [topic=org/eclipse/e4/ui/model/ui/UIElement/widget/SET] to handler org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler@45ae96f1

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2016-10-05 05:47:42.422
!MESSAGE Application error

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2016-10-05 05:47:43.578
!MESSAGE Shutdown error
!SESSION Wed Oct 05 05:47:44 EDT 2016 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2016-10-05 05:47:44.015
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK

Hi Vardan,

Please run DQA from command line with the following parameters:
-clean
-clearPersistedState

Here is small instruction:

• in cmd.exe go to the path where the dqa.exe is located
  • use following command dqa.exe -clean -clearPersistedState

Please keep me posted about the result.

Thank you,
Inna

Hi Inna, I did as you described, but unfortunately it is still the same:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:22.780
!MESSAGE Unable to create class ‘org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityEditor’ from bundle ‘214’

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.event 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:23.374
!MESSAGE Exception while dispatching event org.osgi.service.event.Event [topic=org/eclipse/e4/ui/model/ui/ElementContainer/selectedElement/SET] to handler org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler@79816887

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:23.921

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:24.468

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:30.743
!MESSAGE Application error

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2016-10-06 04:07:32.305
!MESSAGE Error stopping the framework.

Hi Vardan,

Could you please send the .log file from the \workspace\.metadata\ directory again?

Inna

Just sent it in direct message, Thank you

Thank you, Vardan.

Please also try the following: log in to your OS as a guest user and test how DQA works for it.
I will keep you updated about the investigation of the log.

Inna

Guest user is not available for me, but anyway if I login with any other user, database connections with windows authentication will not work for me so I just can’t run DQA with other user.

Thank you,